Shey Gompa and Phoksundo Trek (Upper Dolpo)
|Group size||1-15 people|
|Arrival on:||Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Meals:||Breakfast in Kathmandu and all meals during the trek|
|Accommodation:||3* Hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu and Teahouses during the Trek|
|Departure From:||Kathmandu, Nepal|
|Best Time to Travel||Spring-March to May
Autumn – September to November
|Transportation||Flight & Private Vehicle|
The northern part of Dolpo is usually called inner/upper Dolpo and has long had an aura of mysticism about it. The goal of most trekkers to inner Dolpo is Shey Gompa, largely because of the metaphysical discussions of the region Peter Matthiessen’s book The Snow Leopard. The Caravana was one of the successful movie which was shoot in this place and even won the Oscar Award. Shey was closed to foreigners until 1992. One story cites the reason for closure as the large –scale theft of statues from monasteries. The park is said to abound in wildlife, although the most spectacular inhabitants – snow leopards and herds of blue sheep – are found primarily in the northern restricted regions of the park near Shey Gompa. Bonpo culture is pre- Buddhist Bon Po religion which is very rare and people living here still practice this culture. Its lies in the rain shadows area formed by Mt. Dhaulagiri and Annapurna ranges.
Day 01: Arrive Kathmandu and transfer to Hotel
Day 02: In Kathmandu; Full day sightseeing overnight at hotel
Day 03: Fly from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj 1 hrs
Day 04: Fly to Jhupal 45min flight (2,320m/7,610ft) & trek to Dunai (2,850m/9,348ft) 2-3hrs
Day 05: Dunai to Ankhe (2,896m/9,499ft) 5-6 hrs
Day 06: Ankhe to Sulighat 5-6 hrs
Day 07: Sulighat to Phoksundo Lake (3,611m/11,849 ft) 4-5 hrs
Day 08: Acclimatization and rest at Phoksundo Lake
Day 09: Trek to Phoksundo Khola 4-5 hrs
Day 10: Phoksunds Khola to Phoksundo Bhanjyang 6-7 hrs
Day 11: Phoksundo Bhanjyang to Shey Gompa (4,500m/14,760ft) via Kang-La pass (5,360m/17,581ft) 5-6 hrs
Day 12: Acclimatization and rest at Shey Gompa
Day 13: Shey Gompa to Namduna Gaun (4,800m/15,744ft) via Saldang La (5,200m/17,056ft) 6-7 hrs
Day 14: Namduna Gaun to Saldang (3,620m/ 11,874ft) 4-5 hrs
Day 15: Saldang to Yangze Gompa (4,960m/16,267ft) 4-5 hrs
Day 16: Yangze Gompa to Sibu (4,560m/14,957ft) 6-7 hrs
Day 17: Sibu to Jeng-la Phedi (4,900m/16,072ft) 5-6 hrs
Day 18: Jeng-la Phedi to Tokyu Gaon (4209m/13809ft) via Jeng La pass (5,090m/16,695ft) 5-6 hrs
Day 19: Tokyu to Dho Tarap(4,040m/13,251ft) 4-5 hrs
Day 20: Rest Day at Dho Tarap
Day 21: Dho Tarap to Tarap Khola (Kamakharka) (3,800m/12,464ft) 6-7 hrs
Day 22: Tarap Khola to Khanigaon(3,150m/10,332ft) 4-5 hrs
Day 23: Khanigaon to Tarakot (2,537m/8,321ft) 4-5 hrs
Day 24: Tarakot to Dunai (2,140m/7,019ft) 5-6 hrs
Day 25: Dunai to Jhuphal: 2-3 hrs
Day 26: Fly from Jhuphal to Nepalgunj and then to Kathmandu
Day 27: Rest day in Kathmandu
Day 28: Final departure
· Airport pick-up and Drop in a private vehicle.
· 3 star Hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu on Bed & Breakfast basis.
· Teahouse accommodation during the trek including Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner.
· Welcome & farewell Dinner (with cultural Dance show).
· All ground transportation on a comfortable private vehicle as per the itinerary.
· Domestic flight
· An experienced, English-Speaking Guide or different language Speaking Guide as per the demand of the clients; government-licensed trek leader and assistant trek leader (4 trekkers: 1 assistant guide)
· Porter service (2 trekkers: 1 porter)
· Staff costs including their salary, insurance, equipment, domestic airfare, food and accommodation.
· All necessary paperwork and trekking permits (national park permit, TIMS)
· Medical Kit (carried by your trek leader)
· All government and local taxes.
· Nepal Visa on arrival at Kathmandu airport USD 25.00 per person for 15 Days.
· Airfare for International Flights.
· Entrances of Sightseeing Spots on Kathmandu.
· Lunch & Dinner in Kathmandu.
· Extra personal expenses like telephone bills, Laundry service, Drinks, Tips to Guides/Driver/porters etc
· Other Expenses not mentioned above.